Located at the head of Brickdam, along Vlissingen Road, D’Urban Backlands is the 1763 Monument. This structure was built to commemorate the 1763 rebellion also known as the “Great Rebellion” that occurred on plantation Magdelenenburg in Berbice, Region 6. The plantation was located on the upper Canje River and was owned by Madam Vernesobre.
On February 23, 1763, the uprising that is considered the first true attempt by slaves to fight for their freedom in an organised fashion started. During the revolt, a household slave named Cuffy from plantation Lilienburg quickly assumed a leading role in the rebellion and organised a number of riots against plantations owners. The uprising lasted for more than a year before the Dutch were able to overcome the slaves.
For Guyana’s 10th Independence anniversary a call was made to have a monument erected to commemorate the rebellion. Advertisements were placed in the local newspapers calling for designs and Mr. Phillip Moore’s concept of the monument was selected. The structure was unveiled by President Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham on May 23, 1976.