This fort was constructed on the eastern bank of the Berbice River, circa 1627, by Abraham Van Pere [a Dutch merchant] and his colonists.
This was the seat of Government in Berbice, which was governed as a separate colony prior to the unification of the three colonies Essequibo, Demerara and, Berbice in 1831.
This fort was constructed of wood and enclosed with palisades. The fort had an irregular rectangular redoubt wherein was a larger stone building.
The barracks were built to house about 60 soldiers. The main building in the fort had two floors. The Governor, Captain of the Troops, the Secretary and two Lieutenants lived on the upper floor.
There was a Council Chamber and Church Hall on the first floor.
The Fort was surrounded by outhouses for servants and petty officials.
In 1712 it was demolished when Baron de Mouans’ corsairs threw bombs into it and held Berbice at ransom. A new fort was constructed.
During the slave revolt of 1763 it was burnt by Governor Van Hoogenheim and his soldiers, to prevent the slave rebels from acquiring it.