This area was first leased by Joseph Bourda in 1792 who  subsequently rented this portion of Georgetown to John Robb who arranged the building lots and landscape. Hence it derives its name from the man who designed the area.

In 1864, the entire area was destroyed by a fire. Under the guidance of Mayor Edward John Barr the area was rearranged and streets were widened, giving this ward of the city of Georgetown its present urban layout.

Like many other parts of the city, the streets of this ward were named after prominent and affluent members of  society. Robb Street is named after John Robb the founder of this ward. Hinks Street is named after, Sir Francis Hinks, a former Governor (1862-1868) and a Finance Minister to Canada.

The Bank of Guyana houses the Guyana   Central   Bank and   the Secretariat of the Caribbean Commonwealth Community. This building  was officially opened on 11 October 1966.

The Hand in Hand Life and Fire Insurance Company, this low   building   is decorated   with   cast iron arches and railings is reminiscent  of   the  architecture of the Victorian and Georgian eras.

The National Museum, was first established in 1844 but this was soon destroyed by a fire in 1864 . A new museum was soon constructed and managed by The Royal Agricultural  and Commercial Society before the Government of British Guiana assumed control in 1936. This museum was also destroyed by fire in 1945. In 1951 the present Museum was formally opened by  His Grace the Archbishop of the West Indies.

The Company Path Well and Lily Pond, located in the compound of The National Museum. These are said to have been   built with the bricks of  Fort William St. Frederick, the first British fort, constructed at the mouth of the Demerara River.

The Guyana & Trinidad Mutual Fire Insurance Company limited [GTM] was built in 1894, and was originally owned by the British Guiana Mutual Fire Insurance Co. This L – shaped building with its combination of concrete walls, colonnades and wrought iron on the warp around the gallery is an architectural heirloom of the city of Georgetown.