The development of Thomas Lands
Thomas Lands is bordered by Vlissengin Road to the east; Camp Street to the west; Lamaha Street to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the north. The area consist of approximately 1.82 square kilometres (450 acres) of land which was a part of Plantation Thomas. This plantation was owned by Quinten Hogg and his family. Mr. Hogg was supposedly one of the wealthiest and most distinguished plantation owners of his time. In 1863, the Hoggs donated the area to the Georgetown Mayor & Town Council on the condition that it was to be used for educational and recreational purposes.
Sites and buildings of historic Thomas Lands
The National Park, located in Thomas Lands, Georgetown, was formerly occupied by the Demerara (Georgetown) Golf Club since 1923. It was renamed the Queen Elizabeth II National Park in 1965 in honour of the Queen’s visit to the country. On May 25, 1966, moments to midnight, the park was the scene for one of the most historic events in Guyana’s history; the Union Jack was lowered and the Golden Arrow Head was hoisted marking the birth of an independent nation. The park occupies approximately 0.23 kilometres (57 acres) and is home to several monuments. It is utilized for cultural, educational and recreational activities and is managed by the National Parks Commission.
Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA)
The Young Men’s Christian Association is one of the longest established associations in Guyana. It was founded in the early 1900’s and was the stage for many cultural and educational activities.
Other sites in Thomas Lands
Children’s Millennium Monument
The Children’s Millennium Monument is located in the National Park, and can clearly be seen from Carifesta Avenue, Thomas Lands, Georgetown. The Monument was unveiled in 2000 and was designed by architect Michael Hahn. It symbolizes the development, strength and growth of all children of all races in Guyana.
National Veterans Monument
The National Veterans Monument is located on the lawns of the Guyana Defence Force, Camp Ayanganna base which is situated in Thomas Lands, Georgetown. The memorial was built in memory of the men and women who served in the Military forces of British Guiana and Guyana. It was unveiled in November, 2005, by President Bharrat Jagdeo.
The 1823 Monument is a commemorative monument located on Seawall Road and opposite the Guyana Defence Force’s Camp Ayanganna headquarters, Carifesta Avenue, Georgetown. The monument pays tribute to the slaves and heroes of the 1823 Demerara Revolt, which is considered the largest uprising in Guyana’s history. It was unveiled by former President Donald Ramotar on August 5, 2013 and was sculpted by Guyanese sculptor Ivor Thom.