Kaieteur Falls is the centre piece of Guyana’s oldest national park, the Kaieteur National Park. The park which was established in 1929, by the British Commonwealth, is situated on a section of the Amazon rainforest. Kaieteur Falls is fed by the Potaro River and is considered the longest single drop water fall in the world, with a depth of approximately 225 metres (738 feet). The park has an area of 627.59 square kilometres (242.3 square miles) and is home to numerous exotic flora and fauna, some which can only be found in the Kaieteur National Park.
Mount Roraima, the highest of the Pakaraima Mountain chain in South America, is a part of the ancient Guiana Shield. This mountain contains some of the oldest geological formations known to man dating back to almost two billion years. It was once part of Gondwanaland before tectonic activity separated the continents of Africa and South America.
Aishalton Petroglyphs are scattered across the Aishalton district in the Rupununi, Savannah. Aishalton is one of the most populated settlements in the Upper Takutu-Rupununi region and serves as the administrative centre of the southern sub-district. Makatau Mountain, located some 3 kilometres (1.7 miles) from central Aishalton is one of the country’s most famous archaeological sites. Thousands of these petroglyphs which were pre-dated to 5000 BC illustrate the relationship the first people bore with their surrounding environment and with wild life.
Shell Beach is located on Guyana’s Atlantic Coast which borders Venezuela and goes undisturbed for approximately 144.8 kilometres (90 miles) in Region’s one North West District. The name of the beach is derived from the accumulation of tiny shells that gracefully covers its brown sand. This Wonder of Guyana is home to and is famous for its population of Leatherback sea turtles. Visitors flock the beach to watch with thrill these amazing creatures. Shell beach also serves as a nesting site for many of these turtles. It is also home to the Turtle Conservation Project which has been in existence for over 25 years.
Fort Zeelandia, located approximately 16 kilometres (10 miles) along the Essequibo River on Fort Island, is the third fort to be established by the Dutch within the Essequibo region. It was completed in 1744, 2 years after its construction began under the stewardship of Dutch Commander Laurens Storm vans Gravesande. It is the second fort to be built on the site and currently serves as a tangible reminder of Guyana’s Dutch military heritage. It is a gazetted National Monument and managed by the National Trust of Guyana.
St. George’s Cathedral
St. George’s Cathedral is considered one of Guyana’s most prestigious built wonders; this edifice is located along a roundabout on North Road in Lacytown, Georgetown. The cathedral was first established circa 1796 and services were held in a small court room in the Court of Policy building. The present structure is the fourth built church; it was consecrated on November 08, 1894, by Bishop William Proctor Swaby.
Stabroek Market, located on Water Street and bearing the name of the oldest ward in Georgetown, was officially opened on November 1, 1881 by Governor Cornelius H. Kortwright. Built partly on land and water, this steel structure was designed by an American engineer, Mr. Nathaniel McKay. This landmark serves as one of the main hubs for economic activities in the capital city.
City Hall, an eloquent example of Guyana’s built architectural heritage is located with its main façade facing Avenue of the Republic and is bordered by Regent Street to the north and Charlotte Street to the south.The foundation stone was laid in the north eastern corner of the structure. The building was completed 18 months later and declared opened before a large audience by Governor Viscount Gormanston, K.C.M.G. on July 1, 1889, during a heavy downpour of rain. The Town Hall represented an excellent example of Neo-Gothic colonial architecture in British Guiana. The 29 metres (96 feet) tower with its conical pinnacles was and still is considered one of the building’s main attractions.