This building with its distinctive red colour is situated on High Street, in Kingston between Young and Barrack Streets.
It is built of timber (pitch-pine) and is covered with red wallaba shingles. It is not certainwhether the verandah and the ground floor were part of the original building.
The Colony of British Guiana acquired the Red House in 1925. Sir Eustace Woolford, a Speaker of the Legislature, was one of the early owners of the house. Between 1925 to1953, numerous Colonial Secretaries resided there.
Dr. Cheddi Jagan also lived there from 1961 to 1964 while he served as Premier of British Guiana. Subsequently from 1965 to the early 1990’s the Red House was used as government offices e.g. the Public Service Ministry.
The house was left vacant until 1999 when the Cheddi Jagan Research Centre was established in the building.