St. Peter’s Anglican Church
St. Peter’s Anglican Church was established circa 1827 by Reverend John Tucker and is located in community of Enterprise on the Island of Leguan. The current structure is the second of two churches to be built on the site. The first church was completed by December 9, 1827; but prior to its erection, church services were held under a clump of bamboo trees near the church site.
By the late 1840s, the church was in a dilapidated state and calls were made for a new structure to be built. The foundation stone for the second and current building was laid on August 1, 1853, by Lieutenant-Governor of British Guiana, William Walker. St. Peter’s Anglican Church was consecrated on St. Peter’s Day, on June 29, 1855, by Anglican Bishop, William Piercy Austin in the presence of the colony Governor, Mr. Philip. E. Wodehouse, the Governor’s Secretary, the Chief Justice, members of the Court of Policy and other prominent individuals.
Hog Island Windmill
Hog Island Windmill is located on the eastern side of Hog Island, approximately 14.5 kilometres (9 miles) from the mouth of the Essequibo River. This 18th century structure was the third windmill built by the Dutch during their occupancy of the Essequibo region. In 1768, the windmill was built on Plantation Luyksberg. It was described as being 10 metres (34 feet) in diameter and 11 metres (36 feet) in height. The windmill sat on a 1.8 metres (6 feet) high mound and had a ramp which measured 14 metres (46 feet) in length. The wall of the windmill was 79 centimetres (30 inches) thick. It is assumed that the windmill was built with clay bricks that originated from Fort Kyk-Over-Al. The windmill did not functioned very well and soon after the Dutch West India Company (DWIC) abandoned the concept of windmills on their plantations.
James McFarlane Corry Monument
James McFarlane Corry was a revolutionary 19th century British Guiana leader. His name is associated with the development of the Local Government system in Guyana; and many historians regard him as the ‘Father of Local Government’. He also played a vital role in the establishment of co-operative banks in the country. He is fondly remembered for his work in the community of Den Amstel, located some 10.5 kilometres (6.52 miles) away from Vreed-en-Hoop. In 1892, Den Amstel and neighbouring community Fellowship were merged together and declared a Village District under the name Den Amstel/Fellowship District. Three years later, in 1895, Corry began serving as the third village Chairman, a position he held until 1922.
The visions of James McFarlane Corry did not stop with Den Amstel. In 1904, Mr. Corry inaugurated the countrywide Village Chairmen’s Conference and served as its first Chairman for approximately two decades. It is this Village Chairmen’s Conference that many consider the backbone of our local government system today. While serving as chairman, Corry proposed the banking system that we now know as co-operative banks to assist small scale farmers in the production of their produces.
Plantation Pouderoyen or Klien Pouderoijen (Dutch name) was established by Jan Christian Swaen and his family circa 1750.The planation originally harvested coffee but as time progressed, produced sugar and corn along with other crops. The remnants of a koker, is the only remaining structure from the plantation. Most likely built of slave labour, the structure was constructed to facilitate drainage from the estate.
Demerara Harbour Bridge
The Demerara Harbour Bridge connects West Demerara from Versailles and East Demerara from Peter’s Hall. It was built across the Demerara River at one of the river’s widest points. The bridge is the third built structure to span the Demerara River but is the first and only floating bridge to do so.
Completed a week before its ceremonial opening, the structure was declared opened on July 2, 1978, by then Prime Minister, Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham. The estimated cost of the bridge ranged between $4 million to $10 million, but once completed the structure cost the government approximately $40 million. The 1.85 kilometres (6078 feet) long bridge consists of 61 spans of floats of varied lengths on 122 steel pontoons making it the fifth longest floating bridge in the world as of 2016.
Chinese Immigration Monument
The Chinese Immigration Monument was unveiled in 1986 by the Guyana-China Friendship Society to commemorate the coming of the first Chinese immigrants to Guyana. The monument is located in the Windsor Forest Primary School compound along the Windsor Forest Highway, West Coast Demerara.
Boerasire Railway Bridge
The remnant of the Boerasire Railway Bridge is located on the East Bank of Essequibo within the vicinity of the Zeelugt community. It was one of many railway bridges built during the period when Guyana’s second railway line from Vreed-en-Hoop to Parika was being developed.