Borslem Island is located some 27 kilometres (17 miles) from the mouth of the Demerara River within the vicinity of the community Coverden on the East Bank of Demerara. This island was the first capital of the colony Demerara. It was established in 1753 as the seat of the government because of its proximity to Commander Laurens Storm van Gravesande plantation, Soesdyke. The island remained the seat of Government until 1759, when it became overcrowded due to its small size.
Kuru Kururu Independence Monument
Located in Kuru Kururu, on the Linden/Soesdyke Highway, is the Independence Monument. It was unveiled in 1976 on the occasion of Guyana’s 10th Independence anniversary. The monument was dedicated in the presence of then Prime Minister, Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham, and duty Prime Minister, Ptolemy Alexander Reid, along with other government officials.
Cheddi Jagan International Airport
The Cheddi Jagan International Airport is located in Timehri on the East Bank of Demerara. The airport was formerly called the Timehri International Airport and was established in 1941 as a US military base during World War II (1935-1949). The base was named Atkinson Field after Major Eric Atkinson, the first commander of the facility. In 1945, the airport started its commercial service and on May 1st, 1969, it was renamed Timehri International Airport. In March 1997, after the death of His Excellency, President Cheddi Jagan, then Prime Minister, Samuel Hinds renamed the airport in his honour.
Providence Hindu Mandir
The Providence Hindu Mandir is located in Providence along the East Bank Demerara highway. The temple which was built in 1932 incorporates the use of traditional Indian architectural elements with European-Christian methods of constructing religious structures in the then British colony. The single-storey, octagonal shaped, timber structure has a relatively small Sikhara (tower) when compared to Hindu temples in certain parts of India.
Agricola Independence Arch
The Agricola Independence Arch is located in Agricola, on the East Bank Demerara highway. It was unveiled by His Excellency, President David Granger on May 20, 2016, to commemorate Guyana’s 50th (Jubilee) Independence celebrations. This location for the arch was chosen since Agricola denotes the end of the East Bank Demerara district and beginning of suburban Georgetown.
James Douglas Monument
Sir James Douglas was born in British Guiana on August 15, 1803. He was the son of Scottish man, John Douglas and Martha Ann Telfer, a creole of African and European heritage. During his early years, he lived on his father’s plantation named Belmont in the Mahaica District along with his two other siblings; his parents were never formally married.
In 1812, he and his father travelled to Scotland where he continued his education. In 1819, he moved to Canada where he started his apprenticeship at the North West Company. In 1821, after the company was merged with Hudson Bay Company, he was hired as an employee. Douglas is hailed as the ‘The Father of British Colombia’ which is now a part of Canada’s sovereignty for his many contributions made to the then British colony. He held a number of titles such as the first Governor of British Colombia from 1858 and Governor of the colony of Vancouver Island from 1851.
Hermanus Post Tomb
Hermanus Hibertus Post was a Dutch plantation owner who migrated to Demerara circa 1780. He was born in Utretch, Holland in 1755 and is remembered for his humanitarian work among the en-slaved Africans. Mr. Post is accredited for his endorsements towards the enslaved population having the right to a basic education and proper faith based teachings. Through Hermanus Post, Demerara & Berbice were significantly exposed to the work of the congregational movement that was emerging in Great Britain during that period.
After his arrival in Demerara, Mr. Post became the owner of a cotton plantation called La Ressouvenir on the East Coast of Demerara, approximately 11.26 kilometres (7 miles) away from the then capital of Demerara, Stabroek. He was often described as a humane man with a deeply religious background.
Hermanus Post saw that there was a need for slaves to be taught the teachings of Christianity and for them to be capable of reading and writing. He wrote a letter to the London Missionary Society in 1807 requesting a minister to work among his slaves; he volunteered to provide the basic needs such as protection and other forms of assistance to the missionary stationed on his plantation. On February 06, 1808, Reverend John Wray landed in the colony of Demerara and by the next day he was teaching the slaves on Mr. Post’s La Resouvenir plantation. Immediately upon Wray’s arrival, Post began building a chapel which was called Bethel Chapel.
Hermanus Post died on December 26, 1809 and was buried underneath a large mango tree in a cemetery located on his plantation. His funeral service was attended by many including the slaves from his and neighbouring estates.
Plaisance is a community located 10 kilometres (6.21 miles) away from the capital city of Georgetown. The village was bought by former slaves in 1842 from the Waterbodt family through Mr. A J Waterbodt. The former slaves made an initial down payment of $15000.00 and within 18 months paid the reminding balance. It was officially declared a village in 1892.In 1966, in recognition of Guyana’s Independence status, the village council unveiled a monument listing the original proprietors of the village. The pillar type structure also makes mention of the first all-elected village council of 1960 and the Royal Visit of Queen Elizabeth II and H.R.H Prince Phillip on February 05, 1966.
Ansa McAl Jubilee Independence Arch
The Ansa McAl Golden Jubilee Arch is a commemorative monument located in the community of Cummings Lodge, Greater Georgetown. Cummings Lodge, a suburb of Georgetown, is located 8 kilometres (4.97 miles) east of the capital city. The arch which was installed on the Rupert Craig Highway serves as a visual indicator of the boundaries of Georgetown (Cummings Lodge) and the East Coast (Industry).
Wilberforce Congregational Church
Wilberforce Congregational Church is located on Middle Walk, Victoria, East Coast Demerara. The community of Victoria has the distinction of being the first village in the country to be bought by former slaves in 1839. The church was officially established in 1845 which makes it the oldest religious entity to be established by former slaves. The church was named after William Wilberforce, the abolitionist.
Located in the Beterverwagting playground, East Coast, Demerara, the Emancipation Monument was conceived by the Beterverwagting Development Association. It was officially unveiled by the late former President Mr. Hugh Desmond Hoyte. It is a memorial to the 62 freed Africans who established a free- holders village shortly after winning Emancipation in 1838.
Enmore Martyrs Monument
Located in Plantation Enmore, East Coast Demerara, is the Enmore Martyrs Monument. It was designed by Guyanese artist Dr. Denis Williams. On June 16 1977, it was unveiled by the then Prime Minister, Mr. Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham. This monument commemorates the five heroic sugar workers who made the ultimate sacrifice in a brave attempt to secure improved working class rights during the Enmore Strike of 1948. They were killed on June 16, 1948.