The Canje River Bridge is located at the entrance of New Amsterdam, Berbice. The bridge is the second structure to span the Canje River. The first bridge, the Canje Swing Bridge was located some distance away from the current structure. It was considered one of British Guiana’s greatest engineering achievement of the 19th century.
By the mid-20th century, the Canje Swing Bridge became a burden due to the growing economy which was now utilizing bigger vessels. Smaller ships operated with ease, but larger ships were restricted to scheduled openings which caused some amount of distress to the structure. Work on the current bridge commenced in October 1976. The two lane bridge was opened on February 23, 1978 by Minister of Public Works, the Honourable Steve Narine and the Regional Minister for East Berbice, Mr. Oscar Clarke.
Cheddi & Janet Jagan Mausoleum Complex
The Cheddi & Janet Jagan Mausoleum Complex is located in the Babu Jan (John) cemetery. The cemetery is located in Port Mourant, Corentyne, approximately 22.5 kilometres (13.97 miles) from New Amsterdam. It was established for both Hindus and Muslims to have a facility available to them to bury or perform the last rights for their dead. It was named after one its Muslim caretakers. The Mausoleum complex serves as the final resting place for both Dr. Jagan and his wife, Mrs. Jagan. Both shrines measures 3.048 metres (10 feet) by 2.435 metres (8 feet) with a height of 0.914 metres (3 feet) each.
Rose Hall Martyrs Memorial
The Rose Hall Martyrs Memorial is located in Canje, Berbice, within the vicinity of the Rose Hall Sugar Estate. The monument was built as a memorial for the 15 indentured-servants that died during the 1913 strike action that occurred on the Rose Hall Estate.
Rose Hall Town Monument
The Rose Hall Monument is located on the Rose Hall Town Main Road opposite of the Rose Hall Town Independence Arch. The monument is an honorary tablet erected in recognition of the former slaves who bought the settlement.
Skeldon Great House
The Skeldon Sugar Estate is located approximately 74 kilometres (45.95 miles) away from the town of New Amsterdam, Berbice. The estate is home to one in a few remaining plantation houses in the country. The two-storey suspended timber and shingle structure was built circa1910. The building was used as the official residence of the Estate Manager and to date it continues to serve this propose. The structure has retained most of its original features such as its covered verandahs and wide overhang among others.
Cumberland Open Air Mosque
The Cumberland Open Air Mosque is located in the community of Cumberland in Canje, Berbice. The mosque’s existence can be traced back to the late 19th century when East Indians indentured servants erected a shrine to worship in. The original temple is believed to have been constructed with bricks and was demolished in 1932. The current mosque was constructed shortly after. The mosque commonly referred to as the “Eidgah” exhibits India style architectural features of open air mosques.