The Soesdyke/Linden Highway was officially declared opened in December 1968 by then Prime Minister Linden Forbes Sampson Burnham. Construction began in 1966 for the 72 kilometre (45 miles) long road which started at the Soesdyke junction, East Bank Highway.
The town of Linden is home to two cenotaphs, the first was unveiled in November 1968, by Mr. R.M. Dealy on behalf of the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA). This Cenotaph was built to honour the fallen soldiers of World Wars I (1914-1918) & II (1939-1945) by the Guyana Legion, with the help of a few individuals and organisations. In the late 1980s, the second Cenotaph was built with Aluminum produced from the Alumina Plant nearby. It is located on Republic Avenue within the vicinity of the Linden Town Council.
Linden Museum of Industrial & Socio-Cultural Heritage
The Linden Museum of Industrial & Socio-Cultural Heritage is housed in one of Linden’s most historic buildings. The single-storey, masonry structure was built in 1925 and was for many years known as the Recreational Hall, located on Co-op Crescent, Mackenzie. The Linden Museum was established by the Region 10 Tourism Development Association and opened during Linden’s Town Week in April, 2006. Today, it displays miniature replicas of trains and factory buildings along with artefacts, journals, newspapers and photographs about the town’s heritage.
Bauxite Centenarian Arch
The Bauxite Centenarian Arch is located on Casuarina Drive and Washer Pond Road, Mackenzie, Linden. The structure commemorates 100 years of bauxite mining in the country. The rearing of Bauxite ores began in October 1916, by the newly formed Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA) at Three Friends Mines which is located some 16 kilometres (10 miles) away from Linden
The Mackenzie-Wismar Bridge is the second bridge to span the Demerara River. It was built by the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA) as one of its many contributions to the area. The bridge was completed in 1967, 2 years after work began. Today, it serves as a medium through which motorists can navigate between the wards of Mackenzie and Wismar.
The Alumina Plant, located in Spieghtland (Republic Avenue), Mackenzie, Linden, was opened on March 28, 1961 by the Honourable Dr. Cheddi B. Jagan, then Minister of Trade and Industry. The structure, at the time was considered the largest and most expensive superstructure to be built in British Guiana. It was constructed by the Demerara Bauxite Company (DEMBA) and like bauxite, contributed significantly to the development to the town of Linden.