St. George’s Cathedral is considered one of Guyana’s most prestigious built wonders; this edifice is located along a roundabout on North Road in Lacytown, Georgetown. The cathedral was first established circa 1796 and services were held in a small court room in the Court of Policy building. By 1805, the church’s membership outgrew the small room. Appeals by Reverend Williams Gibbs and Lieutenant-Governor Robert Nicholson led to the first chapel being built on the site of the present cathedral. And overtime, the membership outgrew this structure.
The current cathedral is considered the fourth building to be built by the church and is considered one of the tallest wooden churches in the Caribbean. The design of structure was done by British Architect, Sir. Arthur Bloomfield. While work started on the cathedral in 1888, the foundation stone was laid in 1889. And by 1892, the church, though incomplete was opened for worship. On November 08, 1894, the fourth St. George’s Cathedral was consecrated by Bishop William Proctor Swaby.