State House, the Official Residence of the Executive President of Guyana is located with its main façade facing Main Street and borders New Market & Carmichael Streets, Cummingsburg, Georgetown. The structure is sometimes addressed as Guyana House and was formerly known as Government House. The original structure was built in 1823 on a small piece of land belonging to the first Anglican Bishop to British Guiana, William Piercy Austin.
In 1853, the British Government bought the building which was described as a two-storey timber structure with a double stairway facing Carmichael Street which stood on two metres (eight feet) high brick pillars. Sometime in the early 20th century, the entrance was relocated to Main Street and some additional work was done to improve the aesthetic of both the building and the compound. After independence, the building was renamed State House, since it no longer housed Governors but the presidents of a independent Guyana.